Hello CFE Managers and staff,
Please find your monthly CFE updates from the Business Development Team below.
Maximizing Your Halibut and ZN Licences
If you are a vessel-owning CFE, one way to make the most of your portfolio is to add your extra bycatch to your Halibut and ZN licences. This will increase revenues from your fishing vessel and will utilize quota that you have been leasing out because you aren’t sure what to do with it.
- Lingcod is a great bycatch species to add to a halibut licence; it has a quota price of .50-1.00/lb, but you can get ~$4.00/lb for it at the dock. Once you have added quota for and caught 5,000 lbs of lingcod, you can increase your lingcod quota to 30,000 lbs.
- Adding sablefish quota to a halibut licence is a good way to use up that extra quota. Remember to let your fishers know that halibut slime disintegrates black cod skin, so they need to be stored in separate checkers! You can land:
- 4,180 lbs of sablefish when you have landed 12,602 lbs or under of halibut
- 8,360 lbs of sablefish if you have landed under 25,205 lbs of halibut
- You can put a maximum of 14,250 lbs of sablefish quota on a halibut license
- Lingcod: If less than 20,000 lbs of rockfish has been landed, a ZN outside licence can carry up to 7,500 lbs of lingcod. Note: once you have landed 20,000 lbs of rockfish, you can add 10,000 to 25,000 lbs of lingcod quota; the specific amount of quota will depend on how much rockfish you have landed.
- Sablefish: A ZN licence can carry 5,000 lbs of sablefish quota for the first 20,000 lbs of rockfish landed, and up to 15,000 lbs of sablefish quota in total; as above, the specific amount will depend on how much rockfish has been landed.
Please confirm any quota decisions with DFO QUOTA 1-604-666-5865 or email Anna.Khan@dfo-mpo.gc.ca as specifics can change throughout the season.
For more information please call BDT member Christy Whitmore at 250-230-1925 or refer to Appendix 5 & 6 in the Integrated Fisheries Management Plan (IFMP).
BC Employer Training Grant
Will you be hiring new employees this fall? Would you like to upgrade the skills of existing employees? The BC Employer Training Grant might be the grant for you! The next intake for training commencing after September 1 is June 3, 2019.
The grant provides for three levels of grants, 100% coverage up to $10,000 per participant, 80% coverage for technical skills training up to $10,000, and a $5,000 grant that requires an employer contribute 60%. In some cases Indigenous mentorship and elders may be eligible.
Contact BDT Career & Capacity Development Coordinator, Karenn Bailey, if you think you might want to apply for training funding.
Upcoming PICFI Deadlines:
- May 15: Indigenous Marine Servicing Initiative (IMSI) Funding Application Deadline
- May 15: Final Reporting Deadline for BDS and Operational Support Funding
- May 31: Business Development Source (BDS) Funding Application Deadline for Non-Access Projects
- June 28: Business Development Source (BDS) Funding Application Deadline for Access-Only Projects
Application materials for these funding opportunities can be found on the CFE Hub.
Reminder: we have a CFE Calendar that can be accessed to see upcoming application deadlines, seafood conferences, fisheries gatherings, FEMT opportunities and much more!
For more information about any of the items mentioned above, please contact your friendly BDT advisors:
The Business Development Team